Saturday, January 16, 2010

...progress...finally....



So yes, I do still exist...and yes I do need to apologize for not posting my progress...

...sometimes life does get in the way and of course the first to suffer is our art.  My job has taken up a good portion of my time lately and during those times I do not like to push myself to carve as the quality I like will not be there.  What I love about carving is that it's always there waiting for you like an old friend and even when you are too busy to carve you can at least plan your next moves or solve the next riddle.  In my case I was having problems getting my sand paper belts to adhere properly on my sharpening machine and had to turn to my good friend Mark for advice.  It was a good reason to give him a call and catch up on what he's up to as well.

As you can see from the pictures I made some further modifications to the clay model and I went ahead and made a side profile cutout of him.  I then tooks steps to start blocking in the carving.  Mind you no detail will be added to the carving until this "layout" or "blocking in" process has been completed.  At this point in the process it pays to acknowledge the anatomy of the gentlemen to ensure all parts properly line up.  An example of this is ensuring that that the jaw eminates stright down from the front of the earlobe and then curves towards the chin.  Details like this make the carving "believable".  The study of the anatomical features of the face is crucial and if you get a good reference book it will show you the difference between a male and female skull and differing characterisitics.

Have a great day carving, and I'll post updates as I can....ENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment