Friday, February 12, 2010

Making some headway...

...well folks we're finally into some of the details.  I've spent quite a bit of time ensuring the overall shape of the head is what I desire and I believe I am close.  There are a lot of things that have to be considered and you have to be somewhat anatomically close in order to carry the work without it stepping from the Caricature to the Cartoon.  I've spent a good amount of time on the eye shape and it's layout to ensure it is indicative of the mood and look I am going for.  This is just a straight forward look without a dominant mood so the eye shapes are somewhat symmetrical in shape and neutral in position.
   I also spent some time on the mouth ensuring the corners of curve back into the face and creating a curl from the chin up into the lip.  I continued my shaping down to the neck and also started adding detail to the mustache.  It should be noted that the mustache is not finished as I will be adding some breaks to both the upper side of the mustache where it extends from the face and also some larger breaks along the bottom edge.  Once the breaks are cut in I will continue shaping with progressively smaller #11 (veiner) and #9 gouges until the desired level of detail is desired.
    All-in-all the piece needs several more hours of work and I'll keep you posted on my progress.

  Enjoy the day (there may have been a couple of blizzards in DC but it ain't that bad up here in the snow belt !!)

No comments:

Post a Comment