Saturday, June 29, 2013

The use of a Soft-V

Denny (OCCT) Ortel Soft-V
 
A recent question on one a Caricature Carving forum polled the members for their favorite roughout tools.  One of the often mentioned items was a Soft-V.  Now I understand some folks might wonder what a soft-v might be as compared to a standard V gouge.  Simply stated the bottom of the V is rounded and does not form a strict angle.  This can be seen a little better in the picture below.


Ok, so its rounded...what does that mean for me the carver?
...
Well with time carvers come to realize that before actually adding detail to a carving they really need to get the foundation correct.  In the above pictures is an in progress whittling modeled after a rough setup demonstrated to me by Mitch Cartledge.  At this point in the carving I am locating the elbows, shoulders, overall head  size, eyeline, and bottom of the nose.  A major portion of what has been done so far has been done with a Soft-V, knife, and a very large #9.  The use of a Soft-V vs. a standard V tool allows me to set planes of the carving without committing to that plane.  If I had used a standard V tool I would have left lines in areas that I did not want.  The carving in its current state allows me to make changes or adjustments without major issues.

One other item of note is that the Soft-V in the picture has very high shoulders which I also find helpful.  As you become more advanced you will learn to use these shoulders and find they are quite useful.  In case you are wondering about gouge size,  I tend to buy the largest palm gouges as it is best to start at the largest sizes and work your way to the smaller sizes as a carving progresses.

The gouge shown is a tool I would recommend...its stout, in use by many carvers, been around for a few years, and manufactured by a maker committed to quality.

I hope you found this helpful...sharpen and strop them tools and get out there and carve something!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment